Saturday 29 January 2011

Assignment 4 -The Big Draw

Our fourth assignment was to draw a set up using the objects we had altered in assignment 1.

My objects were altered considerably when you saw them individually but as a group they were strangely unaltered and to me looked as ifvthey were simply a collection of "rubbish" that I had to draw! I decided to draw the group without the Persil wall because it detracted from the shapes of the other objects such as the tin cans and the bottle.















This picture shows the Persil Wall with much of the collection of altered objects. This set up was the one I didn't draw. If you take it on its linear shapes without the logo or stitching the Persil box is surplus to requirement as the white cloth serves the purpose of background to heighten the shapes. If the brief was not to draw 'line drawings' it may be more relevant.













This is a top view section. I like the way the light catches the bottle and the flat tin can. You cannot see the "damage" done to the tomato soup can.















The complete set of this top view. And below with the aperture.














This is the aperture I used for the oil pastel on flour,water and tea bag paper picture where I sat about a metre back. I really like the colours that I have used to represent the objects, I think they go really well with the tea and flour & water mix. I like this texture and the stiffness of the paper. It was exactly like drawing out a hop scotch game on pavements and took me back to my childhood where hopscotch was one of my favourite games! I like using mediums that are nostalgic and I was pleasantly surprised by this one!















This is the leaf paper. I decided to make a background using old Quince leaves stitched with red cotton onto and White piece of paper. Onto this bumpy, flaky surface I decided to paint using acrylic paint. The leaves were very dry and crumbled a bit when they came into contact with the paint. I would like to try this painting again but with machine stitching. I think the paint is effective though and I really like the contrast between the paint and the stitches. The quince leaves were large and I dont think you could do this with much smaller leaves. They could perhaps have been a bit fresher to start off with although they would have ended up dry and flaky in the end anyway.

























The following picture is a set up section drawn from below the table height and the resulting picture is a section taken from that. I decided to use black paper on White paper. The black paper had White cotton stitched to it and the black had White!

I liked the influence of Andy Goldsworthy that I had used for the method of seamlessly making the line move across the changing colours. The contrast of black on white / white on black were very striking. I would definitely use this method again.











It was from this set up that I took the paper collage section. In the end on the finished picture I added some little spots of paper which are from a hole puncher. They were not strictly in the view or the brief but I wanted to add some variation to the square shapes I had used for lines and enhance the curves. I did try and use colour variations for the lines and around the top curve tried working from dark to light. However the whole effect looks fairly green. I wasn't sure whether to fill it in or not but decided not to in the end, this, if I am honest, was because I had had enough of cutting and sticking, it is very fiddley with such small pieces and I kept getting stuck together!!

Also I thought that if it was filled in you would lose the crease lines of the crisp bags that go across the shape.






I had already done one section piece in collage using newspaper pieces and trying to do a similar effect to Andy Goldsworthy with the red headline pieces of newsprint. I tried to simulate the effect he causes with his tightly packed leaves. With more time I think this would be quite striking. Also, by trying out different methods such as whether it is important to have all the pieces of uniform shape and size etc . I thought this method looked quite striking and I can think of various different ways to take it forward however it is very laborious and quite boring! I have always wondered if I would like to try mosaics as I love doing jigsaw puzzles but now I am not so sure!







The photograph below shows one of the other set ups I sketched. This one became the inspiration for the picture which I made with Annas photo Collage. I printed two pieces of A4 paper with a repeat pattern of a black and White photo of my daughter. I had made the photo as monochrome as possible. I then 'drew, the lines with tinfoil. The effect was striking. I like working with the tinfoil. Its not something I have particularly used very often but I will be using it a lot I think. It's is malleable and has a lovely shiny surface that is hard to achieve with pens, paint or pastel. This picture was one of the more abstract and I like the overall effect. One of the areas of the craft world I am eager to explore is printing. I like fabrics with a strong repeat pattern and I would like to create fabric like the paper I made of Anna. I would like to try this with a colour picture that has very bold colours ( like the iconic Andy Warhol pictures) And use bright coloured ribbons for the lines.
















The stitched fabric collages image was taken from the picture that I made using the photographs and the tinfoil. The silver fabric is very soft and supple and is gathered to show the bashed dents in the tin. The bottle looks recognisable- more so than it does in real life!! The different colours are the shadows in of light and dark areas where the bottle is contorted and melted. I really like appliqué work and this time I did it soley on the sewing machine as opposed to doing some by hand. I really enjoyed making this piece and it felt as though there was a culmination in all the different aspects of the assignment coming together. I felt that there was an expectation to make the pieces far more abstract given that we had been studying cubism and using the aperture, but I wanted to draw or put down on paper what I saw. I think that the pieces that are abstract work well, the paper collages and the tin foil picture are not immediately obvious as to what they are so I have achieved an abstract state there. This was also why I chose the melted crisp packets in the aperture to make the collage as they are truly abstract.


















The final two pictures are the pastel drawing I made using the A2 paper. I like the colours and the strong images. I love working in pastel, it creates lovely fluid shapes and the colours blend so easily.













































I could have gone on and on with drawing and developing new ideas for the set ups and, what interested me more was the different mediums with which to 'draw' and different surfaces on which to imprint. I would like to try out collages with matchsticks, corks, milk bottle tops, beer bottle tops, feathers, petals, stones, twigs. I also have ideas for alternative 'paints and pastels' using tea, coffee, herbs and spices, cocoa powder and make up. Other surfaces I would like to use include wood, mirror, paper with stitches on and paper that is stained with tea or watered spices in a wash. Hopefully other assignments will give the opportunity for more experimenting with these and other mediums.





I feel that I have answered the assignment requirements and hope to do a few more abstract pictures to include in my sketch book which I am handing in to my tutor this week. There are other sketches included in there and my small creative journal that I have not shown in this blog - also I must give my tutor a few surprises!!

No comments:

Post a Comment