Sunday 8 May 2011

Module 3. Assignment 2. Aldeburgh circle section

I took a circular section from the photograph of the beach front at Aldeburgh.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

The photograph shows the houses behind the wall along the beach front at Aldeburgh. When you view the scene through the circle the images that leapt out at me most are of the straight lines of the houses versus the pebbles in the beach. The colours are very striking. This scene was taken at dusk and all of the colours had a muted look about them. The sky was pink.

I decided to use the shapes as my starting point which I planned out in pencil.



Then I decided to make the picture more abstract literally using the lines as shapes rather than windows and houses. I also made the decision to use gouache paints in seaside shades.

Gouache is a new medium for me and I love them. They are not as heavy as acrylic paints and do not dry out as quickly. The colours are wonderfully bold and yet they combine easily too. A new favourite!

The finished painting makes me feel very sea sidey and happy. It is very simple and bold. I used the same colours on the blocks and squares as on the pebble shapes to balance the painting. I have used a palate of colours which I see at the seaside on buildings and on the shingle beaches but have spread those colours all through the painting rather than limiting them to their normal areas.





2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a patchwork quilt with its bold colours and simplified shapes :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! It reminds me of a Kaffe Fassett quilt. In fact you could do the same picture as a quilt with fabric. Gorgeous! Clever you

    ReplyDelete